On 6 February, editor-in-chief of the Far East editorial office of the Regnum Agency Alexey Ivanov was beaten up. The victim establishes linkage between the attack and his journalistic work. The police investigates the incident.

On 20 January, an operator of the Rifey-Perm TV company was attacked by a stuffer of a shop, while making a clip about the shop’s work termination.

On 18 January, head of Abireg internet agency Dmitriy Orischenko reported about a call with threats from Deputy Governor of Voronezh Region Gennadiy Makin.  


On 28 December, the Khakass division of the Journalist Union of Russia called on to protect journalist Mikhail Afanasiev who had been threatened with reprisal.

On 9 December, in Chelyabinsk, two reporters for the First Regional TV Chanel Nadezhda Zalevskaya and Svetlana Sverchkova were threatened to be fired for preparation of a report about officials who had threw out New Year decorations made by children. 

On 27 September, Grigoriy Pasko, the journalist and the head of the international non-governmental organisation the Union of Journalists and Investigators – 19/29 Fund, was beaten up by unknown persons in Barnaul.

On 20 September, Denis Shaikin, the editor for MK Chernozemye, was beaten up by police in Kursk.

On 3 September, reporter for Novaya Gazeta Elena Kostyuchenko and journalist for Takie Dela Diana Khachatryan were attacked two times in Beslan.

On 1 September, reporter for Novaya Gazeta Elena Kostyuchenko and journalist for Takie Dela Diana Khachatryan were detained when they were covering a protest action of mothers of children killed in the Beslan school siege in 2004.

On 18 August, a criminal case under Article 282 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation was launched against editor for Mezhdu Strok news agency Natalia Vahonina following publication in a social media of songs not included in the List of Extremist Materials.

On 30 June, in Karelia, police drafted an administrative offence report against a free-lance correspondent for Meduza, Daniil Aleksandrov. Police charged him of working without accreditation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia.

On 7 June, a correspondent for the ‘Emergency Control Centre’ programme at the Russia 1 TV channel, Pavel Brykin, was beaten up in Vladivostok. Representatives of the TV channel said that the journalist had been preparing news about arrested Mayor of Vladivistok Igor Pushkarev.

On 11 May, an unidentified person shot twice at deputy editor-in-chief of the Minuta Istiny (The Minute of Truth) newspaper Oleg Kunitsyn.

On 11 May, the EuropePlusTomsk radio station was refused to extend the broadcasting license.

On 10 May, correspondent for the Zvezda TV Channel Viktoria Kosoglyadenko received a phone call with threats in connection with her professional activity.

On 25 April, the media were not allowed to attend the session of the Toponymical Commission of Saint Petersburg.

On 25 April, President of the All-Russia Association of Fans Aleksander Shprygin attacked a correspondent of Novaya Gazeta, Gleb Limansky, and damaged his camera.

On 10 April, editor-in-chief of Vzyatka and Samana newspapers Edward Mochalov was beaten up in Yarabaykasy village, the Republic of Chuvashia.

On 31 March, journalist Dmitriy Tsilikin was found dead in his apartment in Saint-Petersburg.

On 16 March, editor-in-chief of The Immortal Barrack project (Bessmertny Barak) Andrey Shalayev was searched and put off the Moscow-Nizhny Novgorod train by persons in police uniform who refused to name themselves and personal identification numbers.

On 9 March, a group of journalists and human rights defenders were assaulted on the border of Chechnya and Ingushetia by a group of unidentified persons.

On 24 February, the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation began a pre-investigation examination of the threats received by correspondent of the ‘Vesti-Moskva’ program Alexander Karpov after one of the episodes.

On 1 February, entrance to the editors’ office of the Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper in Saint-Petersburg was set on fire by unidentified persons.


On 18 December, correspondent of the publishing house Gazeta Wyborcza (Poland) Wacław Radziwinowicz was deprived of the accreditation to work in Russia.

​On 2 December, members of a camera crew from Russia-24 TV channel were beaten up during the interview with the Mayor of Ulan-Ude.

On 24 November, anchor of ‘Fontanka. Office’ programme Alexander Kholodov was attacked in Saint-Petersburg.

On 20 November, two correspondents for Kommersant Dmitry Korotaev and Grigory Tumanov were arrested by security forces in Makhachkala for taking photos during the namaz prayer in a mosque.

On 1 September, journalists of REN TV were attacked close to the house owned by the director of the Moscow Region Dmitrov Municipal District Administration.

On 21 August, journalists for the Stavropolye State Television and Radio Broadcasting Company were attacked by unidentified people while shooting a film about illegal mining in Kochubeev District. 

On 8 August, the members of a camera crew from Revizorro TV show were attacked in the Victoria coffeehouse in Salekhard. 

On 4 August, the editor’s office of the weekly newspaper Yani dyunya (Simferopol) was attacked by unidentified people. The damage amounts to 81 thousand roubles.

On 24 July, the Russian Olympic Committee’s Media Relations Commission denied accreditation for the 2016 Summer Olympics to Sports.ru.

On 15 July, correspondents for Zvezda TV channel were detained by security guards at the private territory of former Defence Minister of Ukraine Pavel Lebedev, the channel’s press center reported. Some time later they were released.  

On 12 July, in Ulan-Ude (Republic of Buryatia), some unidentified beat up an opposition journalist, Evgeniy Khamaganov, editor-in-chief of Asia-Russia Today. At present he is in hospital, with neck fracture.

On 21 May, editor-in-chief of the Shum Magazine Pavel Smolyak was not permitted to be present at the session of the Legislative Council of Leningrad Region, with no any objective reasons given.

On 13 May, journalist Stevan Dojčinović (Serbia), who planned to visit Voronezh, was banned to enter Russia and deported to Belgrade, with no reasons given.

On 13 May, Kirill Chulkov, a journalist for Nevskie novosty, and Alexander Ermakov, a journalist for Fontanka.ru, were removed from the first court hearing on fraud case against director-general of the ‘Expo-tour’ tour operator. Protocols under Article 17.3 of the Code of Administrative Offences of the Russian Federation were drawn up to the journalists. They both expressed their disagreement with the reports.

On 8 May, REN TV journalists of 'Emergency call 112' programme were attacked by security guards while filming the Moscow Zoo.

On 20 April, Volzhsky District Court in Saratov imposed a fine of 1 ths roubles on a reporter for the local news agency Public Opinion, Sergei Vilkov. The reporter had published a caricature with the Nazi swastika on his social media page. According to him, his arguments that "the post was against extremism" were dismissed by the court.

On 5 April, in Dagestan, four unknown men attacked a journalist Vyacheslav Starodubets, the founder of ‘My Derbent’ public project.

On 26 March, the police in Moscow launched a criminal investigation into the threats to a journalist of the Echo of Moscow Karina Orlova. Ms Orlova has been provided with 24-hour security service as part of the state protection programme.

On 24 March, Russia’s Minister of Culture Vladimir Medinsky suggested to ban the media which, according to him, "understand hardly anything", from the ministry’s sessions.

On 18 March, journalists from Saint Petersburg organised an action in front of the Legislative Council’s building in Saint Petersburg. The participants picketed in T-shirts with the ‘No to Censorship’ slogan and a quotation on the freedom of speech from the Constitution of Russia.

On 17 March, a journalist for a local newspaper For Human Rights in Balashikha city was prohibited from covering the work of the election committee due to the fact that the founder of the newspaper was "a foreign agent".

On 7 March, a journalist for the Echo of Moscow Sergey Pakhomenko filed a complaint to the police claiming that he had received death threats. Last year, on air of the Echo of Moscow, he called the reunion of Russia and Crimea an occupation. Previously, a TV presenter Ksenia Sobchak claimed she allegedly received threats at the funeral of Boris Nemtsov.


On 18 September, the BBC Moscow Bureau team was attacked by unidentified. The journalists had their camera smashed, recorded material deleted and the team’s cameraman beaten up.

On 4 September, a correspondent of some local information portal Artem Alexandrov was attacked in Saint-Petersburg Frunzensky District Office when attempting to enter the room for early elections procedure.

On 20 July, chief editor of the local newspaper Arshan Arkadiy Zarubin was attacked by a local official for an attempt to make a report on preparing to the elections in the Tunkinskiy District Council in Buryatiya.

On 9 June, online newspaper Grani.ru contested the Taganskiy Court decision to leave the complaint against Roskomnadzor and the General Prosecutor Office unsatisfied. Previously, due to the above authorities the website of Grani.ru had been blocked.

On 5 June, customs officers detained Anna Sharogradskaya, director of the St Petersburg Regional Press Institute (former the Russian-American Information and Press Center), in Pulkovo Airport. Ms Sharogradskaya had her laptop, tablet, memory cards and mobile phone confiscated.

On 26 May, the editor of Free Word of Adygea blog was fined to the amount of RUR 100,000 ($2,6 ths) for extremism. The suit was commenced due to an article in the blog published a year ago, signed by Mr Ivanov and named ‘One Can Be Russian in Adygea, But No Prospects Observed’.

On 18 May, a Crimean journalist Osman Pashaev was detained in Simferopol by police. As the Crimea.Realities says a Turkish cameraman Genghis Kuzgun and a correspondent of the Gazeta Wyborcza (Poland) in Moscow Vaclav Radzivinovich were detained.

On 15 May, Roskomnadzor (Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technology, and Mass Media) issued an order to TV-2 television company to restart broadcasting from May 20, threatening to revoke its license. The company had suspended broadcasting since April 19 because of a break in the feeder line produced in 1968.

On 6 May, a photojournalist Andrey Zubets and a journalist of Italian the Russian Riviera magazine Natalia Gorilskaya were detained by police at Bolotnaya Square rally.