Frequently Asked Questions
A complaint submitted to a commissioner for human rights in a region of the Russian Federation is not a reason for refusal of acceptance of the same complaint for consideration by the Federal Commissioner.
You can send your complaint or application and the attached duly prepared copies of the decisions on the complaint, made by court or administrative body, in a written form to:
47 Myasnitskaya street
Complaint or application in a written form may be accepted during the personal reception by an authorised official of the Commissioner’s office.
Official website of the Commissioner for Human Rights is an additional means to provide citizens with an opportunity to submit a complaint or application to the Commissioner.
After receiving a complaint, the Commissioner is entitled to:
- accept the complaint for investigation;
- explain to the complainant the means of rights and freedoms protection they are eligible to use;
- forward the complaint to some authorised state or local self-government bodies or officials for settlement;
- refuse to accept the complaint for investigation.
Within ten days the Commissioner should inform the complainant about the decision taken.
Institute of the Commissioner supplements the existent means of human rights and freedoms protection. The Commissioner considers the complaints about decisions or actions (inaction) of state authorities or local self-government bodies and officials, in case the applicant had already appealed against these decisions or actions (inaction) in court or an administrative body, but does not agree with the decisions reached on the complaint.
Commissioner for Human Rights in the Russian Federation is mandated to:
- consider complaints of Russian citizens, aliens and stateless persons residing on the territory of Russia;
- investigate the complaints about decisions or actions (inaction) of state authorities or local self-government bodies and officials, in case the applicant had already appealed against decisions of a court or an administrative body, but does not agree with the decisions reached on the complaint;
- take appropriate measures, acting on the Commissioner’s own initiative, based on the available information about mass and gross violations of human rights and freedoms, or if a case has either a special social significance or is connected with the need to protect the interests of people unable to use legal means of protection without assistance.
Commissioner for Human Rights in the Russian Federation is not mandated to examine the complaints about the decisions of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation chambers and legislative (representative) bodies of the Russian territorial entities’ state authorities.